August 19, 2026 | 05:42 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Tuesday announced that the Trump administration has imposed sanctions on the president of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and a senior trial lawyer.
The move is the latest escalation in the Trump administration's attacks on the international body.
Established in 2002 and based in The Hague, Netherlands, the ICC prosecutes war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. The US is not a member of the Court.
What did Rubio say about the sanctions against the ICC?
Rubio said the US — acting under authority of an executive order signed by President Donald Trump — had leveled sanctions against ICC President Tomoko Akane, a Japanese judge; and Abdoulaye Seye, a Senegalese trial lawyer at the ICC.
"These individuals," said Rubio, "have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction."
Rubio wrote Tuesday on X that the move was part of Washington's "unwavering mission to protect Americans from this sham of a court."
Why is the US trying to undermine the ICC?
The ICC asserts its jurisdiction only if member states are unable or unwilling to prosecute atrocities themselves.
However, the Court's statute also gives it the power to prosecute nationals of non-member states who commit atrocities on the territory of a member state.
Rubio argues the ICC poses a threat to US personnel carrying out President Trump's hardline immigration policies or "drug interdiction" strikes on boats in international waters, as well as other US service members.
"The Trump Administration has been clear: The International Criminal Court is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate," the State Department said in a statement. "We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty."
Last year, the US imposed sanctions on several ICC officials after the Court issued arrest warrants for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Galant over the war in Gaza.
Last month, Rubio said the Trump administration would step up its efforts to undermine the ICC, including a diplomatic campaign aimed at persuading other countries to quit the Court.
Chad and Venezuela, for instance, have already heeded the US call and withdrawn from the ICC.
Trump has said the US campaign is aimed at defending ally Netanyahu and others from prosecution, not himself.
Three ICC judges sued the Trump administration in June, calling sanctions illegal; and last week, four human rights groups followed suit, arguing that victims of war crimes were being denied justice as a result of the president's actions.
How has the ICC reacted to Washington's latest attack?
Tuesday's sanctions bar Akane and Seye from entering the US and from making transactions within the US financial system.
The ICC on Tuesday said it remains "undeterred" and stands behind all its staff.
The Court rejected Washington's approach, saying "measures targeting judges, prosecutors and staff who work towards the fulfillment of the mandate that was conferred to the ICC by states undermine the rule of law."
"When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk," the Court said in a statement.
Read: US Urges Latin American Nations to Leave ICC
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Syria, US Condemn Israeli Strikes on Military Base
6 jam lalu

Israel has not claimed the strikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, while US envoy Tom Barrack called them an "unnecessary escalation."
Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Strait of Hormuz Talks With Iran
18 jam lalu

President Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it interferes in talks with Iran over reopening the Strait of Hormuz amid stalled negotiations.
Fact Check: Is the US Facing Food Crisis Because It Has No Food Estates Like Indonesia?
19 jam lalu

Fact check - The United States (US) has not experienced a food crisis due to not establishing "food estates."
US Tourist Killed by Lightning on Sicily's Mount Etna
22 jam lalu

Italian officials deployed a rescue helicopter in an attempt to save a US national after he was struck by lightning on Mount Etna.
US, Egypt, and More Extend Independence Day Greetings to Indonesia
1 hari lalu

Friendly countries have extended congratulations to Indonesia over its Independence Day commemoration on August 17.
Trump Says US-South Korea Military Drills to Be Scaled Back
1 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump believes annual military drills with South Korea send an "inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea.
US: Hurricane Lala Brings Hawaii Heavy Rain, Strong Winds
1 hari lalu

Hurricane Lala passed over Hawaii's Big Island on Saturday without making landfall and began moving away on Sunday as a tropical storm.
US: 19 Million Eggs Recalled over Salmonella Risk
3 hari lalu

The US has issued a severe health warning over recalled eggs, stating potential contamination could cause severe illness or death.
US Says It's Ready to Work with Indonesia to Protect Its Sovereignty
5 hari lalu

The US respects Indonesia's sovereignty, Deputy Defense Secretary Elbridge A. Colby says, as Washington offers to cooperate with Jakarta.
Why Indonesia Is Subject to 10% Reciprocal Tariff by the US
6 hari lalu

Indonesia was previously subject to a 19 percent tariff before it was dropped to 18 percent. Now, the country is subject to 10 percent US tariff.


















































