Indonesian Navy Deploys 5 Warships to Aid NTT Earthquake Relief

14 hours ago 21

August 21, 2026 | 02:08 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Indonesian Navy deployed five warships to assist with earthquake relief efforts in East Nusa Tenggara on Thursday, August 20, 2026.

The Head of the Indonesian Navy Information Service, First Admiral Tunggul, said the mobilization of this primary weaponry system was part of disaster relief efforts through Military Operations Other Than War (OMSP). In addition to mobilizing five naval vessels (KRI), the military sent two helicopters and hundreds of soldiers to expedite evacuation and logistics distribution.

"To date, the Navy has deployed several KRI elements to ensure the smooth flow of inter-island aid supplies," Tunggul said in an official statement on Thursday, August 20, 2026.

The five deployed naval vessels are KRI Dr. Soeharso-990, KRI HIU-634, KRI Bung Hatta-370, KRI Teluk Parigi-539, and KRI Teluk Celukan Bawang-532.

KRI Dr. Soeharso-990 headed to Reo Manggarai, transporting 217 Marine Corps personnel and the Marine Health Center (Puskesal), heavy equipment (dozers, excavators, dump trucks, water tankers), field hospital tents, and dozens of tons of aid.

Then, KRI HIU-634 headed to Riung Island to distribute aid from Bank Indonesia, Moro Saka AAL 42, and the Indonesian Surgical Association. Meanwhile, KRI Bung Hatta-370 was on standby at Reo Manggarai Pier to support regional logistics.

Meanwhile, KRI Teluk Parigi-539 and KRI Teluk Celukan Bawang-532 carried out a sea crossing (Surabaya-Jakarta) and embarked dozens of trucks from the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) and 22 tons of contact materials for the next distribution phase.

In addition to vessels, the Indonesian Navy's Naval Air Station (Puspenerbal) also transported logistics using Bell 412 helicopters HU-4206 and HU-4205. The two helicopters distributed 400 kg of staple foods along the Labuan Bajo–Ende–Reo–Labuan Bajo route.

Hundreds of personnel from the VII Naval Regional Command (Kodaeral VII) were actively involved in the affected areas. They set up posts and distributed aid packages using Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats (RHIBs), Rear Swingback Boats (RSBs), Rigid Buoyancy Boats (RBBs), and trucks.

Meanwhile, the Maumere Naval Base (Lanal) and the Labuan Bajo Naval Base, along with the Regional Leadership Communication Forum (Forkopimda), evacuated thousands of affected residents to temporary shelters.

BNPB reported that the death toll from the earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) had reached 75 as of Thursday, August 20, 2026, with as many as 907 injured.

The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) recorded 4,258 aftershocks following the earthquake in Flores, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), as of Friday, August 21, 2026, at 5:00 a.m. Western Indonesian Time (WIB). Of these, 118 were directly felt by the public, with 31 having a magnitude above M5.0.

Previously, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Flores Island, East Nusa Tenggara, on Saturday, August 15, 2026, at 5:58 a.m. Central Indonesian Time (WITA). The epicenter was offshore at a depth of 10 km, located 36 km northeast of Mbay, Nagekeo Regency.

Read: BMKG Records 4,258 Aftershocks in NTT Following M7.7 Earthquake

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Fact Check: No Red Sky After M7.7 Earthquake in NTT

4 jam lalu

Fact Check: No Red Sky After M7.7 Earthquake in NTT

Fact check - The crimson sky was observed in Colombia, not in Indonesia.


BMKG Records 4,258 Aftershocks in NTT Following M7.7 Earthquake

6 jam lalu

BMKG Records 4,258 Aftershocks in NTT Following M7.7 Earthquake

The BMKG predicted that this series of aftershocks will persist for the next three to four weeks.


Pope Leo Says 'Deeply Saddened' by NTT Earthquake

10 jam lalu

Pope Leo Says 'Deeply Saddened' by NTT Earthquake

Pope Leo invoked the divine blessings of consolation and strength to the people affected by the recent earthquake in Indonesia.


Peru: Strong Earthquake Shakes Southern Andes

10 jam lalu

Peru: Strong Earthquake Shakes Southern Andes

The quake has a magnitude of 6.7 according to the US Geological Survey, while Peru's Geophysical Institute put the figure even higher.


VP Gibran Urges Priority for Earthquake Survivors' Basic Needs

20 jam lalu

VP Gibran Urges Priority for Earthquake Survivors' Basic Needs

Indonesian VP Gibran urges authorities to prioritize residents' basic needs in a rapid, integrated response to the disaster.


Indonesia Rolls Out Emergency Learning in NTT

21 jam lalu

Indonesia Rolls Out Emergency Learning in NTT

Indonesia's Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education has prepared a learning guide during the emergency period.


NTT Earthquake: Why Does Indonesia Refuse Foreign Aid Offers?

1 hari lalu

NTT Earthquake: Why Does Indonesia Refuse Foreign Aid Offers?

Indonesia extends its appreciation for the attention and expressions of solidarity from friendly countries, its foreign ministry said.


UI Students Join VP Gibran to Visit Quake-Hit Region

1 hari lalu

UI Students Join VP Gibran to Visit Quake-Hit Region

VP Gibran invited the students to assist with trauma healing for victims in disaster areas.


Fact Check: Video of Tsunami in NTT After M7.7 Earthquake

1 hari lalu

Fact Check: Video of Tsunami in NTT After M7.7 Earthquake

Tempo's fact check team verified that circulating video claiming to show a tsunami in Labuan Bajo after the M7.7 NTT earthquake is false.


NTT Earthquake Victims Block Road over Lack of Aid

1 hari lalu

NTT Earthquake Victims Block Road over Lack of Aid

Dozens of residents in Ladur and Riung villages, NTT, blocked a highway on Wednesday to protest the lack of earthquake aid.


Read Entire Article
Pemilu | Tempo | |