August 22, 2026 | 11:33 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has reported the latest developments following the magnitude-7.7 earthquake that struck Flores Island in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). As of Friday, August 21, 2026, at 4:00 p.m. WIB, the official death toll has reached 83.
"The death toll has reached 83. It increased by eight from the previously reported 75, with the additional fatalities attributed to indirect impacts of the earthquake," said Berton Suar Pelita Panjaitan, Acting Head of BNPB's Data, Information, and Disaster Communication Center, during a press conference on Friday afternoon.
Berton explained that the additional fatalities include two individuals in Manggarai Regency, two in East Manggarai Regency, three in Nagekeo Regency, and one in Ngada Regency.
Meanwhile, BNPB also logged 986 injuries resulting from the NTT quake. That figure represents an increase of 79 people from the previous update.
In addition, the number of displaced residents has climbed to 110,785. The count reflects an increase of 18,050 people from the earlier total of 92,735.
The disaster has also damaged a total of 44,946 homes, comprising 17,176 heavily damaged, 9,758 moderately damaged, and 18,013 lightly damaged units. The regencies with the highest number of damaged homes are East Manggarai with 5,962 units, Manggarai with 3,146 units, and West Manggarai with 3,050 units.
The magnitude-7.7 earthquake originally struck Flores Island on Saturday, August 15, 2026. The epicenter was located at a depth of 15 kilometers, roughly 30 kilometers northeast of Mbay in Nagekeo Regency.
As of Friday, August 21, 2026, at 5:00 a.m. WIB, the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) had registered 4,258 aftershocks. Of that total, 118 tremors were distinctly felt by local residents, with 31 aftershocks measuring above magnitude 5.0.
Read: Indonesia Yet to Open Door to Foreign Aid for NTT Earthquake
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Indonesia Yet to Open Door to Foreign Aid for NTT Earthquake
17 jam lalu

Indonesia appreciates the messages of condolence, concern, and solidarity from friendly countries regarding the NTT earthquake.
Indonesian Navy Deploys 5 Warships to Aid NTT Earthquake Relief
23 jam lalu

The warships mobilization is part of disaster relief efforts through Military Operations Other Than War (OMSP).
Fact Check: No Red Sky After M7.7 Earthquake in NTT
1 hari lalu

Fact check - The crimson sky was observed in Colombia, not in Indonesia.
BMKG Records 4,258 Aftershocks in NTT Following M7.7 Earthquake
1 hari lalu

The BMKG predicted that this series of aftershocks will persist for the next three to four weeks.
Pope Leo Says 'Deeply Saddened' by NTT Earthquake
1 hari lalu

Pope Leo invoked the divine blessings of consolation and strength to the people affected by the recent earthquake in Indonesia.
VP Gibran Urges Priority for Earthquake Survivors' Basic Needs
1 hari lalu

Indonesian VP Gibran urges authorities to prioritize residents' basic needs in a rapid, integrated response to the disaster.
Indonesia Rolls Out Emergency Learning in NTT
1 hari lalu

Indonesia's Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education has prepared a learning guide during the emergency period.
NTT Earthquake: Why Does Indonesia Refuse Foreign Aid Offers?
1 hari lalu

Indonesia extends its appreciation for the attention and expressions of solidarity from friendly countries, its foreign ministry said.
Fact Check: Video of Tsunami in NTT After M7.7 Earthquake
2 hari lalu

Tempo's fact check team verified that circulating video claiming to show a tsunami in Labuan Bajo after the M7.7 NTT earthquake is false.
NTT Earthquake Victims Block Road over Lack of Aid
2 hari lalu

Dozens of residents in Ladur and Riung villages, NTT, blocked a highway on Wednesday to protest the lack of earthquake aid.
















































